It’s always amusing to see what your friends ‘Like’ on FB or Pinterest. I find so many new things that I never would have been turned on to if it weren’t for the good ‘ole social media. This week I thought I’d share what’s tickled my fancy. I hope you enjoy my musings and feel free to share what has amused you this week 🙂
I’ll be travelling the East Coast (Cape Breton to be exact) next week and will surely have some wicked awesome pics to share when I’m back! Have a great weekend and week friends, Cheers!
1. My Drunk Kitchen – this video post was especially amusing. I watched it twice last night and couldn’t stop laughing. Hannah Hart is hilarious and brings fun cooking comedy to the kitchen while.. yes, you guessed it, drinking. Hannah doesn’t know this yet, but she’s my new BFF.
2. BrightNest – This site and App are awesome. Now that I own a home I’m always looking for ways to “shape up my house and simplify life” as they put it. Why thank you BrightNest! You read my mind.
3. Rare Republic – a grassroots community dedicated to improving the condition of our food, its production, distribution, supply, and consumption for the entire community’s commercial and health benefit. I dig it.
4. Real Farmacy – Delivering your daily dose of healthy news and information. I follow them on Facebook and have found lots of posts very helpful and interesting. For example, this one about 12 Great Ways to Use Castile Soap.
5. Real Food RN – Kate is a nurse and mom and LOVES real food. She writes about food and healthy tips. I really liked this post about making your own fruit gummies! Yummm!
6. This picture:
haha – omg poor kitty!
That’s all friends.. until next time!
Howdy friends! I know I’ve been lacking on posts lately and for that, I apologize! The summer has been awesome so far and super busy. I haven’t been dedicating much time to writing, because I’ve been so busy doing other stuff like camping,
cottaging, cooking and lounging in the backyard!
How has the weather been in your neck of the woods? It’s been a bit random here with some crazy rain (hello Toronto floods!), but we are having a wicked heat wave this week. I’m not complaining, I love the heat, but sometimes it’s too hot and muggy that you don’t feel like eating or cooking much.
I wanted to share a recipe for a vegetarian ‘burger’ that I really love for those hot summer nights. It’s easy to put together and holds up well on the grill. There is minimal prep for this dish, and the lemon gives it a really refreshing scent and taste. This recipe could be adapted to be vegan by replacing the egg with Ener-G (may need to add a tsp of soy milk if you need more moisture). I topped the burger with tomato, avocado and some carmelized onion ‘jam’. No bun and it didn’t need it, but if you need the bread it would hold up for that.
I served this up with a simple spinach salad with strawberries I picked at a local farm. For the dressing I whisked up some balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Voila. Summer at it’s best. Enjoy!
- 1 (540 mL)can Chick Peas, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp each lemon zest and juice
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms of your choice
- 1/4 cup panko if you find the mixture too wet to shape into patties
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (to taste)
The good thing about this recipe is that you can taste it as you go (before adding the raw egg), so you can adjust seasoning along the way.
- PULSE all ingredients in a food processor until well combined and fairly smooth. Shape mixture into 4 equal-sized patties. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium-high. Grill patties with lid closed for 8 to 10 min., flipping once.